Saturday, January 9, 2016

Week 3

December 7, 2015

Hello family!

well a lot has happened since my last email! first off, I'm in Colorado! I've been here for exactly a week, but I'd say It feels like a month? two months? there so much to say!
first off-
I'm in Highlands Ranch, CO. and its niiiiice. its definitely "upper middle class", all the houses are huge, and decorated straight out of pottery barn. The area has a reputation of being a difficult area because people are so comfortable- apparently when you have an enormous house you don't need the gospel- wheves rich people. My companion and I are serving in two wards, Daniels's Park and Heritage Park, and both wards are so welcoming and so happy to have sisters! Both wards remind me so much of Glencoe ward, everyone is warm and wants to help out as much as possible.
My trainer! her name is Sister Fetuli, she is from Tonga! She's is 26, and has been out for about 16 months I think? she goes home the first week of April. its so funny- whenever people ask her how long shes been out, she neeever tells them the right amount of months, cause it makes her sad to think about going home! She'll sometimes say, "over 12 months" or "over 9 months", which is true, but a sneaky way of avoiding the actual number. I'm always so excited to hear what number she'll say- its different like every time. English is her second language so sometimes she needs help pronouncing words, or says things wrong- like we were buying chapstick and she kept calling it "chop sticks" and I thought it was so funny I just let it happen. and one time we called someone and they hung up on us, and she was like " he hung over!" close sister Fetuli- but not quite right.


so pretty much all week we've been meeting with ward members and going down the "less active" list, cause I forgot to tell you- We're white washing!!!!! and if you're like I was about one week ago and don't know what that means- they took out the elders and put us in, so neither of us know the area. which is interesting but its been going pretty good! just trying to track down the less actives and see if they're still interested. 

One awkward/funny story from this week- we had an appointment at 6 to meet with the Heritage park Relief Society president, and went accidentally went to the Daniels park relief society presidents house! but we didn't even realize until we'd been there for 20 minutes! she just let us in, we had no idea we were at the wrong house. it was lovely. 

we have one investigator the last couple sets of elders before us have been teaching, he's super nice and committed to go to church with us this week! so I'm excited for that. OH, speaking of church, we spent 7.5 hours in the church yesterday, 6 of those hours were church, half an hour for a meeting, and an hour between wards. so if youre ever bored in church, or tired of sitting- count yo blessings. 

because we're new and there is only one official investigator, we've been doing quite a bit of knocking on doors! which I hate to admit, but HOLY ITS SO AWKWARD. It's still so new, I'll get used to it. but as of right now, it will be the death of me. One time a guy opened the door and he was very nice, and seemed super laid back! then we smelt a lil smoke and realized why he was so friendly! but hey, i'll take friendly. 

I cant really think of more to tell you cause basically all this week was meeting with the two bishops, the two ward mission leaders, and the Relief Society presidents...and knocking on doors, We're fed every night for dinner- that's been fun! I love being around families. it half helps the homesickness and half is like that the heck I want my mom. but all in all, im doing good, the wards are awesome, missionary work is a little slow but we keep working! 

I love all the emails and support ive gotten, I don't know what id do without it!!
I love you all pray for you like a thousand times a day
much love
Sister Richards






1 comment:

  1. Hi! Our daughter, Sister Crystal Smith arrived to the CDSM on October 17, 2015. She started in Highlands Ranch, at the beginning of 2016 she was transferred to Grand Junction, she was recently transferred back to Highlands Ranch. Perhaps you gals will run into each other :)

    ReplyDelete